At Turn.io our vision is to make effective human support accessible to vulnerable people everywhere.
We're creating a product that allows social impact organisations to have private, personal and guided conversations on chat to improve lives at scale. We work with small and large social enterprises, non-profits, and governments who are all trying to change the world for the better, using our product. We have a strong focus on health.
Here are a few examples of how some of our customers have used Turn to make an impact:
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the World Health Organisation delivered a combined total of 60 million messages to over 15 million people, providing them with instant and easy access to the most accurate and up-to-date information shared by their governments and health organisations.
- The South African National Department of Health improved health outcomes for 450,000 pregnant women through WhatsApp, by providing a 24/7 support line and a self-service knowledge repository that guides women through pregnancy and the first 2 years of a child’s life.
- Guidepost is on a mission to make personalised diabetes coaching available to as many people as possible, providing this service through WhatsApp and helping people with diabetes live a healthier and longer life.
- The United Nations has empowered people to make climate action an integral part of their daily life and be part of the solution to the climate crisis through their “UN Climate Action” WhatsApp service.
- Rising Academy, who is on a mission to create the most powerful teaching and learning tools for the people that need them most, has improved maths educational outcomes for children in Ghana through delivering quizzes and providing tutoring through WhatsApp.
Our product has come a long way in a short space of time, with a small but brilliant team. The team is now growing and we’re looking for a Senior Frontend Engineer to help us shape and build the product to grow and deliver on our behaviour change goals. In the past year, our team has loved seeing their work immediately being used in high-impact services.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a funded startup in its founding years and experience and shape the growth of a product first hand. We are a global team working remotely and asynchronously. If you’re highly skilled with innovative, unique development ideas, and a creative, troubleshooting mindset, we’d like to hear from you.
What you bring
- Significant experience in taking lead as a Frontend engineer building performant React applications. We prefer not to count years, but in our experience this is usually equivalent to at least 4-5 years of professional experience
- Self motivated and love to go beyond the basics to build something delightful
- An eye for design and details. The kind of person who would see a broken window and fix it
- Experience in writing meaningful tests using libraries such as React Testing Library, Cypress, Playwright, etc.
- Experience in Elixir and Phoenix LiveView is a plus
- Your team will be composed of: Product Owner, Product Designer, 1-2 Frontend Engineers, 1-2 Backend engineers.
- Location: Remote anywhere in the world with at least 2-3 hours of working time overlap with CET
- Start date: As soon as possible
What your responsibilities will be
- Contribute to a performant, React-based, frontend application backed by GraphQL that helps facilitate conversations with millions of individuals to help achieve better health outcomes
- Participate in the team effort to re-engineer some of our TypeScript/React frontend into Phoenix LiveViews written in Elixir
- Ensure our frontend applications work in low resource environments
- Collaborate closely with backend developers to ensure all the APIs you need work as expected
- Develop interface designs into a fully functional front end experience
- Develop new user-facing features that enhance the product
- Advise on and/or contribute to new or emerging technologies that might be relevant to Turn
- Spread the word about our technology and vision through conference presentations, media interviews and other social media interactions
- Engage meaningfully with clients; leading demos and driving discussions.
- Care deeply about/ensure the performance, reliability, quality, and responsiveness of the application.
- Determine effective test and regression strategies for the application
- Interview with Product/Engineering Lead
- (async) Code challenge
- Meet the team and review the code challenge together
- Executive interview with CTO
- Reference checks with your previous employers
- Work 100% remotely from anywhere in the world
- Flexible working hours
- “Calm Fridays”: most Fridays we only work for half a day and leave the rest of the day to our personal lives
- 4 weeks of PTO (personal time off) + the public holidays in your country of residence
- Parental leave
- Stock options (coming soon)
- Yearly company-wide retreats in beautiful places around the world
How to apply?
Click the Apply button below and make sure to answer all the screening questions in the application page. We are looking forward to hear from you!